Choosing and Caring for a Masturbator
Gone are the days of only the hand to satisfy! “Masturbators” or, more commonly known as “pocket pussies”, are ribbed sleeves that can enhance the experience of masturbation. As they’ve become more mainstream, there are a number of different options to consider. Below are a few things to know and think about before making your purchase.
When people think of “pocket pussies”, they’re usually thinking of these. This type of masturbator tends to be about 4-7 inches long with a mouth, vagina, anus, or non-descript opening for insertion. Most masturbators will be made of a soft, skin-like material for a more realistic experience. This type of stroker has ribbing on the inside for additional pleasure and can be moved or squeezed as the user prefers.
You may be familiar with the original designer of this style of toy: Fleshlight. They popularized the stroker sleeve inside a hard case. Because the sleeve is inside a hard case, the sensation can feel more realistic as it is the case being moved rather than the stroker itself. These hard cases will also regulate the amount of air inside the device so the user can control the amount of suction and tightness at any given time. Not only does the hard case protect the sleeve from lint/debris, it also conceals it in a discreet case. Like the no-case strokers, these also come in mouth, vagina, anus, and non-descript openings. Often, companies will collaborate with popular adult stars or cam girls and make molds of them for the masturbators.
These kinds of strokers will take the basic design of the hardshell devices and take them up a notch. With this design, you can get a masturbator that vibrates, sucks, spins, or milks. The most popular of these designs are the ones that mimic fellatio. Most of these devices are rechargeable, though you can still purchase ones that take batteries or plug into the wall.
Though these come with many benefits, they can often be a on the loud side so keep that in mind when making your selection. They will also require a little additional care when it comes time to clean it.
Because these strokers don’t self-lubricate, you will need to add lube to enhance the experience. Due to the nature of the toy’s material, make sure you are only using a water based lubricant. The use of silicone or oil based lubes will degrade the toy’s material.
No matter what kind of masturbator you’ve chosen, they all need to be thoroughly cleaned. Small, damp spaces are the perfect environment for bacteria to grow so once you’re finished, follow these basic steps and your toy will not only stay clean, but will last longer:
- 1. Rinse: Most masturbators will have a hole at the opposite end from the insertion point to allow water or other fluid to be rinse out.
- 2. Apply cleaner: While standard toy spray is an acceptable cleaning solution, for masturbators, we suggest selecting a foaming cleaner. Once inside, the cleaner will expand into the crevices. Once it’s inside, move the masturbator around to evenly disperse the cleanser. If you have just the sleeve, rub it between your hands (like if you were trying to start a fire) to spread out the foam.
- 3. Rise again: After you’re sure the cleaner has been evenly distributed throughout, rinse it out. At this point, any bacteria causing fluid will have been removed.
- 4. Dry: It’s important to allow your toy to dry. Store it upright on a towel to allow gravity to pull the remaining water from the chamber. Give it a few shakes to make sure all the water is gone.
- 5. Powder: Since most masturbators are made of a skin-like material, they do require one additional care step. As you use and wash your toy, you’ll notice the material starts to get tacky. To prevent this and keep it soft, apply a dusting of toy powder once your toy is dry. It will adhere to the toy’s surface to keep it touchably soft.
- 6. Storage: If you’ve purchased a hardshell stroker, just insert the sleeve back into the case and pop on the lid. If you have no-case stroker, you will want to place this item in a breathable bag. Then, just stick them in a cool, dry place and it will be ready for your next use! To see more tips and tricks on how to properly store your toys, click here.
Pro Tip: If you’re using a hard shell style, you can pull the sleeve out for proper cleaning. Don’t forget to sanitize the hard case as well in case fluid got in.
Pro Tip: With a moving/vibrating masturbator, follow the cleaning direction provided in the box. Some will allow you to remove the sleeve while others will require a little more attention and care.
Adding a stroker to your masturbation ritual can bring you to new heights in your sexual exploration. With the wide variety of toys available, you’ll never run out of new sensations to experience! Remember, this blog serves as a guide to help you think about some of the different options when considering a stroker. If you need help selecting one, don’t hesitate to stop by your local Lion’s Den or chat with our online sales rep. Happy shopping!